Guntakal Division was formed in the year 1956 as a part of Southern Railway and was transferred to South Central Railway on 02/10/1977.
Guntakal Division is the abode of the world famous temple of Lord Sri Venkateswara Swamy at Tirupati and other piligrim places like Padmavathi Temple at Tiruchanur, Lord Sree Kalahasteeswara Temple at Sri Kalahasti, Lord Varasiddi Vinayaka Temple at Kanipakam, Sri Laxminarasimha Swamy Temple at Kadiri and Raghavendra Swamy Matt near Mantralayam. Recently Tadipatri station has picked up an importance due to discovery and development of Belum Caves situated at about 35 Kms from Tadipatri Station.
In addition to divine blessings, Guntakal Division is endowed with rich minerals, iron ore, barytes, lime stone and a host of natural stones. The increase in commercial exploitation of the above, coupled with accelerated industrialization and port activities, the goods traffic is increasing by leaps and bounds. Guntakal Division is growing in stature year by year bothin passenger and goods traffic.
Guntakal division is the first highest division in terms of 1307.07 route km and second highest division in terms of 1872.47 track km in South Central Railway. More and more track is getting added with simultaneous ongoing doubling and New Line Projects of RVNL and Construction Organization.
Division has been declared as total Broad gauge division with completion of Pakala-Dharmavaram during 2010-11. All the loop lines have been made fit for 30 kmph and entire track is fit for CC+8+2T except Pakala-Dharmavaram section. With the completion of PQRS on Wadi-Guntakal section on ST sleeper track during 2010-11, entire main line track is declared to be with PSC sleepers with 60kg/52kg rails. Track carries about 70 GMT on Gooty-Renigunta Single Line, and about 60 GMT on Raichur-Guntakal Single Line sections.