South Central Railway has introduced a system of recognizing and awarding its employees for their exemplary work in ensuring safety of train operations from the month July, 2013. Nine employees were selected as Men of the Month-July, 2013 and they were awarded at a function held at Zonal Railway Training Institute (ZRTI), Moula Ali today (27th July, 2013). Shri S.P. Sahu, Chief Safety Officer, SCR was the Chief Guest on the occasion. Shri John Prasad, Chief Traffic Manager (General & Strategic Planning), SCR and Shri Satyanarayana, Principal, Zonal Railway Training Institute, Moula Ali were present. Safety officers, Trainees / teaching faculties of ZRTI and Safety Counselors attended the function in large number.
Shri S.P.Sahu, Chief Safety Officer, SCR, handed over the Man of the Month Award (Certificate and Cash) to nine employees belonging to various safety categories. Speaking on the occasion Shri Sahu said that the system of identifying and rewarding those staff whose timely and vigilant action help prevent possible mishap, avoid loss of life and damage to railway properties is introduced from the month July, 2013. Out of several entries received from Divisions, he said, nine employees were selected for the Man of the Month Award for the July, 2013. He called upon the staff involved in operations and system maintenance to continue their dedicated service in order to eliminate accidents and ensure safety of passengers, he added.
Shri John Prasad, Chief Traffic Manager (General & Strategic Planning), SCR, while addressing the audience, hoped that recognizing the good work of the employees with awards will go a long way in boosting their morale and will also encourage others to excel in safety.
List showing MAN OF THE MONTH awardees with Citation
for the month July, 2013
1) Shri T. Prasad, Yard Porter, Sattenapalli , Guntur Division: on 10th July, 2013,while working as Gateman at Level Crossing No.39, Shri Prasad noticed an unusual sound while Train No. 57652 Passenger was passing through the gate. After the passage of the train, he immediately checked the condition of the rails in gate area and found a rail breakage of about 8 inches. He, at-once, alerted the Dy. Station Superintendent / Sattenapalli not to start the Train. No.12806 Secunderabad-Visakhapatnam Janmabhoomi Express which was ready to be dispatched.
2) Shri D. Venkateswarlu, Gateman / Guntur Division: on 20th July, 2013, Shri D.Venakteswarlu, while on duty at Gate No.273 between Santamagulur and Savalyapuram observedsmoke emanating from 5th vehicle from Brake Van of a Goods trains while it was passing through the Level Crossing gate. Heinformed to Savalyapuram Station where the wagon was checked and was found that it was due tohot axle. The affected wagon was detached at Savalyapuram.
3) Shri Keerthi Kumar, Electrical Singnal Maintainer / Rechni Road / Secunderabad Division:On 3rdJuly, 2013,while carrying out the maintenanceof signaling gadget near Level Crossing. No. 66 Shri Keerthi Kumar noticed a rail breakage at mainline. Immediately, he alertedthe Signal and Engineering Staff and Dy.Station Superintendent for remedial action. Due to his alertness and timely action, a serious mishap was averted and the detention to traffic was minimized.
4) Shri Md. Mazar, Loco Pilot/Sanatnagar, Secunderabad Division: on 11th July 2013, while working a goods train, Shri Md. Mazar detected hot axle in a goods train running on the up line towards Ghatkesar. He immediately informed guard of that goods train. The train was stopped at Ghatkesar, checked and found hot axle in the 20thwagon from Brake Van. The wagon was detached at Ghatkesar.
5) Shri A. Vincent Raj, Deputy Station Superintendent / Peddempet, Secunderabad Division: on 16th July 2013,while on duty, Shri A. Vincent Raj detected hot axle in a goods train.Immediately he informed Deputy Station Superintendent / Ramagundam. The train was stopped at Ramagundam for checking and found hot axle in a wagon. The wagon was detached at Ramagundam.
6) Shri K. Eswara Rao, Loco Pilot / Rajahmundry, Vijayawada Division: on 2nd July 2013, while working a goods train, Shri K. Eswara Rao experienced a lurch and informed Station Manager / Narsipatnam Road as well as Station Manager / Gullipadu after stopping the train at Gullipadu home signal. Engineering staff attended and noticed rail breakage.
7) Shri P. Kamalesh, Assistant Loco Pilot / Rajahmundry, Vijayawada Division: on 2nd July 2013 while working a goods train along with Shri K. Eswara Rao, Loco Pilot experienced a lurch and informed Station Manager / Narsipatnam Road as well as Station Manager / Gullipadu after stopping the train at Gullipadu home signal. Engineering staff attended and noticed rail breakage.
8) Shri D. Ramu, Pointsman / Nidadavolu, Vijayawada Division: on 3rd July 2013, while on duty, Shri T. Ramu noticed a brake binding in train number 12864 Yeswanthapur-Howrah Express while passing Nidadavolu. He immediately informed to the guard of Yeswanthapur-Howrah Express, who checked the same between Nidadavolu and Chagallu stations and found ‘Roller Bearing’ failure in the Pantry Car coach. The section was cleared with caution speed and the coach was detached at Chagallu station.
9) Shri J. Venkata Rao, Assistant Loco Pilot / Rajahmundry, Vijayawada Division: on 16th July, 2013 while working a goods train, Shri J. Venkata Rao observed a crack for about 20 inches near side bearer between wheel no. 3 & 5 of bogie 1 in rear loco, on arrival at Navabpalem, during feel round check up. Immediately, he informed all-concerned through Loco Pilot and the loco was detached at Navabpalem station. The Multiple Unit locos were moved to Vijayawada Loco Shed for repairs.